The Sweetwater Daughter scored these 4 chairs and huge table on Craig’sList….all for $250!
She bought them to use as the “guest chairs” in her new law office….
They sat in the Sweetwater garage all summer waiting for a facelift!
Maybe you remember reading my post about A New Way to Fabric Shop!
We were ready to get started….
I would love to tell you that this was a simple and fast project…..
I would love to tell you that we finished in couple of hours….
NOT SO MUCH!!!!
We probably spent about 2 hours on EACH chair….but truly it was worth it!
Lots of Mother/Daughter bonding!!!
Whenever I start an upholstery project, it seems to take me a long time to figure out exactly how to proceed!
In this case…..one night the Sweetwater Daughter and I spent one whole evening….(and one whole bottle of wine) figuring out the construction of the chairs….AND…how to work with the design/pattern of the fabric!!!
The Seats came off easily with the loosening of a few screws….
They would be easy to just wrap and staple….
Not so much.…but more about that later!
In the case of these chairs it was a bit complicated because of the chair backs….
We couldn’t easily figure out how the chairs were actually put together…..and until we figured that out…we couldn’t take them apart…
We even got Mr. S. involved and he couldn’t solve the puzzle either….
Then the edge was simply pushed into the frame.
Almost tooo simple…..but it worked and looks great!
So the project went on hold until the trim arrived in the mail!
In the meantime….I used the trusty compressor and stapler to finish covering the chair seats!
What should have been a 10 minute job for each chair turned into a much longer “ordeal”!
…..the darn pattern had to be matched not just so the circle was in the center….but that the whole thing was straight….
Each chair needed to look the same!!!!
Needless to say….I am awfully glad to have a “mighty fine” staple puller!!!
Once the trim arrived we were ready to get back to work…
We decided NOT to have the large circle be the center of the seat backs…
When we tried that…..it kinda made you dizzy!!!
Note that the circles are on the sides…
We smoothed the fabric in place and pinned it so that it was straight and then used chalk to go around on the edge…..
I cut it to size with enough extra to fold under.
We used pins to hold the fabric in place and to keep it straight….
We then did the nailhead trim on the seat cushion
and around the front edge of the seat back. It was easy to nail the tacks in and avoid all those staples!! The nails hold the fabric nice and tight!
NO pictures while this was going on….all 4 of our hands were occupied!!!
But this is a close up of the nailhead detail!
There were a “few” pitfalls….a couple of redos……but FINALLY the chairs were DONE!
They stayed in the garage until the exciting day when they could move into the new office!!!