May and June are filled with events and activities that often involve gift giving!
Graduations, Weddings, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, End of School…the list goes on and on!
- you probably aren’t always good about planning ahead!
- you probably want your gifts wrapped to look Amazing!
Look at some of great looking gift packages.
Great huh? The reality is that if you are like me, you probably buy the gift you need on the way home from work or errands and need it wrapped and ready to go immediately.
- I really love to wrap gifts.
- I am really pretty good at it and I think my gifts usually look pretty nice.
- I could probably copy the gift wrapping on the packages in the photos if I wanted to.
The real issue for me is that my friends and family always seem to have special events when I am the busiest….not very thoughtful of them…but hey it is their party!
To solve this dilemma, I have a secret!
I keep at least 5 gift wrapped boxes ready to go on a closet shelf.
The only thing missing is the gift!
How does this work?
It is really pretty simple.
Notice that top and bottom of the boxes are wrapped separately. Take the top off—put the gift in—go to the party!
Pretty Sneaky! Don’t tell, but sometimes I put a couple of the boxes in the car…..shop ON THE WAY TO THE PARTY…finish the wrapping in the car!
You just need to carve out a free hour some day and get out some plain boxes (I know you have a stash of boxes you are saving).
Get your pretty papers, ribbons, tape and scissors and start wrapping.
The technique for wrapping the top of a box isn’t much different than wrapping the whole box.
- Measure the paper and fold the edges up over the box.
- Miter the corners in.
- Tape the paper edge inside the box….no one will ever look to see how neat you are….so you don’t need to be to fussy!
- If I use an all white box, I sometimes don’t even wrap the bottom.
Don’t stop when you have wrapped the packages!
- Put tissue paper in the box
- Add a generic note card and envelope
- Add a piece of ribbon big enough to go around the box
- Make a bow and tuck it in the box
- Put the cover back on and the next time you need a present in a hurry…..
- Instant Gift Wrap!
Some of my sources for inexpensive gift wrapping supplies
|Tying Fancy Bows A tutorial|
Here is another fun little gift package idea….a little gift bag made from a single sheet of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper!
With a few simple folds and some embellishments you will have a inexpensive, handmade alternative to a purchased gift bag.
Read on to see how it is done…..
I once received a gift card and handwritten note in a little folded bag like this.
The note was special…the gift card appreciated……BUT it was the BAG that intrigued me!
In true Sweetwater Style….I immediately took the bag apart to see how it was made.
You will need:
12 x 12 scrapbook paper
Zots or Rubber Cement
Other fun embellishments
I would have made you a downloadable template, but because you need the paper to be 12 x 12, I thought this diagram was actually more helpful.
Start with the 3 parallel folds in the center.
Fold them back and forth a couple of times to make it easier.
These folds make the bottom of the bag.
Then you fold in the sides.
This shows you the inside of the bag before you fold it up.
Check to make sure that it is the way that you want it…and that all the folds are scored well.
Glue the side folds down.
I used the little Zots, but any glue would work.
I like the Zots because they work immediately…no waiting for glue to dry.
Add a couple of spot of adhesive in between the two pockets.
Use the paper punch to make holes on both pockets for your ribbon to go through.
You decide where you want the ribbon….I have done a single or a double and both look nice.
I added a little folded gift tag on the outside of this bag.
No need for a card.
There are endless possibilities for embellishing these little bags.
What a great way to use up some of your paper and ribbon stash!
I would love to hear what YOU would put in your little bag!
- A package of seeds and some garden gloves…..
- Some homemade cookies or biscotti and some tea bags….
- A couple of candy bars and a toothbrush (LOL)…
- A CD and some earbuds…
- Some PostIts and some markers…..
Sugar and Spice Wicked Awesome Wednesday Free Pretty Things for You!
Passionately Artistic Happy Hour Projects Katherine’s Corner Stuff and Nonsense
Sew Many Ways Days of Chalk and Chocolate A Vision To Remember
Cherished Treasures Serenity Now Lolly Jane The Answer is Chocolate
Get Schooled Saturday Family Ever After By Your Hands
Creative Jewish Mom Nifty Thrifty Things Making the World Cuter
Sew Chatty The Kurtz Corner Sugar Bee Crafts
The Sassy Life Raising Memories