I was in the car taking the Sweetwater Daughter to the airport….
The conversation turned to the fact that exactly a year ago she was encouraging me to start blogging!
Her encouragement resulted in “Sweetwater Style”….who’d a thunk it?
I took my own little trip down memory lane and started reading some of my first posts.
I had some good ideas….
but as with anything that you are just learning to do…
They are/were pretty different than my latest things.
So this week I am going to revisit and update some of those first posts!
Kinda tricky, as I am too busy to do many new projects this week!
This post was published in June…. here it is again updated!
- I buy white hand towels and white wash cloths by the dozen at CostCo…we use the hand towels as dish towels…always nice to have a bright clean stack for a party. We use the wash cloths for everyday cloth napkins….absorbent and they don’t need ironing.
- when these get stained, they go in the rag bin and are great for cleaning!
- White dinner napkins by the dozen at HomeGoods are only 14.00…they go with any table setting…if you check out the clearance area you can sometimes get them even cheaper. You can check out this post of how I even made some of my own using some old curtains.
- Having a collection of white tablecloths in various sizes is something that makes decorating for an event a simple task. Watch the clearance aisles at Target and HomeGoods, you can often pick up white table cloths for great prices. They make great gifts/ or just nice to have a pristine new one for your next party. Way better than spending 5 bucks for plastic cloths that you throw away!
- My collection of off-white mid-century pottery is growing, thanks to thrift stores. These pieces are very versatile and they work for any season or holiday. If you have spent any time reading this blog….you probably notice that I use these all the time. Right now…I am using a selection for the mantel in the family room….simple!
- I LOVE White dishes…
- we use our cereal and pasta bowls from Williams Sonoma almost every day. I have found some of these at thrift stores. Sets of these make great housewarming or shower gifts.
- Don’t worry that your white dishes don’t match…the color brings it together.
- White serving trays are great to have for entertaining or everyday use. I keep them handy on my dining room shelves to make it easy to use them.
- My favorite “go to” wedding shower or wedding gift is a stack of fluffy plain white bath towels. You can always find them on sale somewhere, they fit any decorating scheme. I always keep a couple in the “gift closet”!
Now on to White in the Wardrobe!
Marilyn Monroe wore the famed “Subway” dress in “The Seven-Year Itch.”Marilyn Monroe’s white “subway” dress sold for more than $5.6 million in a Beverly Hills, California auction Saturday night in which bidders paid another $2.7 million for three other Monroe movie outfits.Bidding for the iconic ivory pleated dress Monroe wore in “The Seven Year Itch” was “totally magical,” Morgan said.”
Tee Hee! I think I am a bit “old” to pull this look off, but that white dress is truly iconic don’t you think….BTW…do you watch SMASH? Marilyn certainly holds a fascination for us! (wow….was that an ADHD sentence or what?)
Here are some whites that are in my closet!
- White Jeans-no they don’t make your butt look big and they go with everything! I just found a new pair of GAP jeans at GW….SCORE!
- A Crisp white shirt-classic with jeans….an oversized one is great with leggings or as a beach cover. I ALWAYS see great ones at GoodWill. And don’t forget to look for t-shirts and cami’s there too. If you only pay a couple bucks…you can toss them when they start to look grungy.
- White zip-up hoodies, sweatshirts and cotton sweaters are always great GoodWill bargains.
- I found this White linen dress- an Eileen Fisher mid-calf A-Line that Iscored at Opitz outlet for $30.00-yea me! It was almost floor length…so I shortened it with a little decorative stitching…can’t wait to wear it this summer! I found this photo on the Neiman Marcus website…the dress is selling this season for $278—go figure!!!
My favorite GoodWill organizes items by color, not size…I ALWAYS look through the white section….and often find great stuff. Beware when you buy white at a thrift store…check carefully for stains or discolorations.
And about those stains…..that is why here at Sweetwater…because we use our white stuff….there is always a big bottle of Chlorine Bleach in the laundry closet!
So that is my updated post….it was kind of fun….wonder which one to do next…Hmmmmmm!
Here’s wishing you a bright day with no stains…!!!
My Favorite Wardrobe Whites
Now….off to paint more woodwork….
Have a great day!