The green grass grows all around.
(these are just wheat seeds that you can buy in the health food section of most grocery stores….I get mine by the pound in the bulk section of Lakewinds Coop here in Minneapolis for $.80 a pound)
I use Miracle Grow Moisture control….but any dirt will do!
You could search the internet and get fancy complicated directions about how to grow wheat grass….
You could get all OCD about sorting, sprouting, draining and carefully laying those seeds in the dirt….
- Soak a bunch of seeds in water for a couple of hours.
- Find a fun waterproof container…..almost anything will work…I sometimes use plastic food container tops.
- Put about 2 inches of soil in the container and water that down a little
- Spread the pre-soaked seeds evenly over the soil…..almost like frosting the dirt…yes that thick!
- Water this well….not sloppy wet…but wetter than you would normally water a plant
- Cover the container with plastic wrap to make a little “greenhouse” for your seeds!
- Place the container in a sunny window.
- Wait a couple of days….Check….add water if it looks like it needs it….wait a couple of days more….
Sometimes the container I want to use is deeper than a couple of inches.
I hate to use a lot of that expensive potting soil (man am I cheap!)
Since the seeds only need a couple of inches to grow, I soak white paper towels and put them in the bottom of the container and then add the soil! Works like a charm!
I got the cutest little vase shaped like Rubber Boots at GW yesterday!
The little pails will be centerpieces on the tables in the Media Center at school…the kids love to smell the grass!
In about a day you will see little sprouts…
In less than 5 days your sprouts will be about an inch tall….
In a week you will have “DECOR”!
I found you some great examples of ways to decorate with wheat grass….Enjoy!
Linky Party List
Frugalicious Friday Say G’day Saturday
A Creative PRincess
DYI Show Off Petite Hermine
You Are Talking Too Much Cure for the Common Monday
My 1928 Charmer The Tattered Tag
Polly Want a Crafter Coastal Charm
Singing Three Little Birds Cuisine Kathleen
Sassy Sites Growing Home
Terrific Under 10
Gingersnap Crafts Katherine’s Corner
Craftionary Rooted In THyme Life With A Drama Queen
Happy Hour Projects 504 Main
Truly Lovely Blog Sassy Sites Quilted Euphoria
Sugar and Spice Six Sister’s Stuff
Get Schooled Saturday Happy Hour Projects
Sew Many Ways Crafts Keep me Sane
Tales of A Trophy WIfe My Girlish Whims Sew Woodsy
Bunny Hop Fireflies and Jellybeans Eat Grow Sew
Ta Da Tuesday