With Zinnia’s in arm…I headed home with a few vegetables too!
On the way a couple of ladies stopped me to ask if Zinnias were flowers that would last long in an arrangement!
So I dug in my memory…..and shared some tips for conditioning them to make them stay pretty…..mostly the basics of keeping the water fresh and cutting a new cut at an angle!!!
That made me realize that not everyone knows the importance of flower conditioning!
Conditioning Flowers to Boost Vase Life: This is a nice overview article that gives the basics of flower conditioning.
The Garden Club of Brookfield Connecticut has put this amazing alphabetical list of lots and lots of flowers and the “rules” for conditioning each one.
Somehow a group that has been in existence since the 1930’s give me confidence in their advice!
Now that I am including it in this post….I will be able to stop back and refer to it often!!!
(maybe I will memorize some…so the next time strangers ask me for advice….I won’t just be guessing!
Here are just a few of the tips from this site:
- Artemisia: Split stems and place in boiling water for a few seconds. Condition overnight in warm water.
- Black-Eyed-Susan (rudbeckia): Dip stems in a small amount of boiling water for a few seconds. Condition overnight in deep, cool water.
- Gerbera: Dip stems in boiling water. Condition overnight in cold water.
- Phlox: Cut when clusters are one-half open. Split stems. Condition overnight in deep, warm water.
- Zinnia: Place stems in boiling water for a few seconds. Condition overnight in tepid water. Zinnias last better if plants are watered before they are cut.
Anyway…..here are the two arrangements that I did using my $7 bunch of Zinnias…..It is Saturday and they still look almost fresh from the garden!
Alison’s Zinnia is the most beautiful book….each letter has a gorgeous picture of a flower….and the words guide you to the next letter….and of course….the final letter is Z for Zinnia!!!
This would be a marvelous book for any flower lover to have on the shelf to teach a special young person about flowers.
Funky Junk Best Of Party
Twigg Studios Too Much Time On My Hands Lovely Crafty Home Nifty Thrifty Things
Flamingo Toes Classy Clutter Create With Joy
Keeping It Simple DYI Home Sweet Home
Make It Pretty Monday A Stroll Through Life
Made in A Day Growing Home Fluster Buster
Sugar and Dots House of the Hepworths
Serenity You Brambleberry Cottage