I am in full swing decorating mode here right now.
Tomorrow starts a three day round of “Boughs Bows and Beverages” holiday workshops here. People are coming to make fun holiday centerpieces to take home. Should be lots of fun, but I do have to have a plan to make sure we are organized.
Then on Sunday, the Sweetwater Daughter is having her birthday party here….More make and take decorating….plus some cake I hope!
That means….not much time for blogging….so I thought I would share an old post about how to decorate the lights on the front of your house!
This project is on my agenda for today…..along with just a few more things to get ready for the Holiday Workshops….
Then Mr. S and I are off for a “date night” at the Theater…..Ain’t we fancy???
Well……maybe not so fancy….the first item on my list is to go clean up the big cat vomit in the front entryway….arghhh!
Enjoy the repost!
Finding an inexpensive but elegant way to decorate the five light fixtures on the front of the house is always a challenge!
Last year I saw a great tutorial over at one of my favorite blogs: In My Own Style. Diane uses the nifty trick to create full looking swags for the lights and hanging them with coat hangers. Check out her tutorial here.
The only problem was…..she uses a whole brick of floral foam….and the $3 + times 5 still seemed like a bit spendy for me….
I got the idea to use chicken wire for the form instead of the floral foam….
And….for some reason the shape of our fixtures won’t allow for the hanger to work….
I enlisted the help….and errand running skills of Mr. S to get this project done!
Off he went to the hardware store to get me my supplies…and to the basement to get me the “proper” cutting tool….what a guy!
This roll of chicken wire was less than $6 for a 25 foot roll that is 2 feet wide….
The tool is a WISS All Purpose Metal Snip Pliers (who knew we had one….but…..it WAS the perfect tool)
I also needed some heavy duty leather gloves to protect my hands!
I cut a piece of chicken wire about 18 inches wide and bent the edges on each side in. Then I rolled it into a column….this gave lots of places to tuck in the greenery!