You probably have the supplies on hand. If not, a trip to the thrift store will get you everything you need to make a bunch for only a few dollars.
Toilet paper tube or 3 inch birch log
some kind of “beard material”….fiberfill, an old halloween wig, sheepskin
Old sweater sleeves
Hot Glue Gun
Sewing machine or needle and thread.
- Cut off a sleeve of the sweater you are using for a hat. Use the bottom ribbing for the bottom of the hat and machine or hand stitch the side into a cone shap.
- Cut a rectangular piece of the body sweater fabric to wrap around the toilet paper tube. Tuck the ends into the tube opening and glue down. (Skip this step if you have access to birch logs)
- Wrap fiberfill around the styrofoam ball and glue to the top of the tube or log piece.
- Add a longer piece of the fiberfill to create a beard. If you are going all out…you can purchase sheepskin remnants. I got mine at Axe Man Surplus for $1.00. You will want to glue the beard from the top of the head. These Tomtens don’t have faces….just facial hair.
- Stretch the hat on the head….position it so that your little guy has some charm.
- Glue the wooden bead onto the center of the “face”.
In little or no time, you have a fun hostess gift. If you want to go all out Scandanavian….you could head to IKEA for some Lingonberry Jam to add to it. I am sure there are other Scandinavian treats that would make good additions….as long as it ISN’T Lutefisk.
Speaking of Lutefisk….I just finished a great book that will call to anyone with Minnesota roots…
A quirky and interesting read.
Have A Great Day!
Sunny Simple Life