Christmas Eve….Christmas Day….A Cocktail/Fondue Party…and finally a Pasta Buffet yesterday…
We had lots of fun through it all….
In fact….this might just become a go to menu for future gatherings!
- Best recipe for chicken strips for the Pasta: Buy them…..Already cooked….in a package…. The texture and taste of the already prepared chicken strips from CostCo were more than acceptable when covered with sauce!
- DON’T blanch your broccoli ahead of time….I thought this was smart and did it to save time….except I left it in the pan with the cover on and ended up with mushy over cooked vegetables….won’t do THAT again!
- Cook the pasta ahead of time and keep it in the oven with the absolute lowest temp….in fact…I kept turning the oven off to just have the tiniest bit of heat. The pasta was in those aluminum catering trays. A little pasta water poured over the pre-cooked noodles brought them “back to life” when it was time to put the pasta on the table. (a warming tray kept the temp “lukewarm”) This also allowed an easy replenishing of the pasta when needed.
This Sweet Kale Salad from CostCo is a new favorite at Sweetwater. It comes with all the fixings. Just pour into a bowl…add the dressing and “stuff” that is included and enjoy! It was simple enough to make a second batch when it ran low during the party….maybe people thought a little crunchy greens would make for something “healthy” given the decadence of all the pasta!
- The Bolognese sauce was “almost homemade” by using prepared Spaghetti sauce with meat and spices added. I really made this for the kids….but the “big” kids seemed to enjoy it too!
- I sort of stressed out about finding the “perfect” Alfredo Sauce that could be made ahead! This recipe worked very well….in fact the teenage boys at the party told me they thought this would be great for their own sports “Pasta/Carbo loading parties….which I took as a “high compliment”
This sauce stood the test of sitting for more than 4 hours on the buffet without losing texture or taste!
It is definitely a KEEPER!
- Mr. S decided that pouring frozen bags of prepared meatballs and adding mushroom soup and beef broth would NOT do for this buffet. He painstakingly prepared meatballs from SCRATCH using a recipe from his mom’s Swedish Woman’s Cookbook! I have to say they were delicious! (maybe I can convince him to write a guest post and share the recipe with you some day!)
- Add some crusty sliced bread and butter…..A bowl of nice Parmesan Cheese and you are DONE!
Make It Pretty Monday Make the World Cuter
Sew Many Ways Too Cute Tuesday
Twirl and Take A Bow Crafty Blog Stalker Coastal Charm No Minimalist Here